Lawrence Paul Anderson

CHICKASHA, Oklahoma – A man accused of cutting out and eating a woman's heart to "release the demons" made his first appearance in a central Oklahoma courthouse Tuesday afternoon.

Triple homicide suspect Lawrence Paul Anderson sobbed during a remote hearing in Grady County Court.

Anderson had been identified by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation as the suspect in the Feb. 9 murder of his uncle, Leon Pye, and Pye’s 4-year-old granddaughter, Kaeos Yates. He also allegedly maimed his aunt, Delsie, during the attack.

A third victim, Andrea Blankenship, lived on the same street as the Pyes. According to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, Blankenship was murdered first, and a search warrant turned up the grisly details.

Following his arrest, Anderson told an OSBI agent that he went to Blankenship’s home, killed her and cut out her heart. He then took the heart back to the Pyes residence. 

“Anderson then cooked the heart at the Pye home and tried to make Delsie and Leon Pye eat the heart before he attacked them,” the report said. 

The warrant said he tried to feed his family the heart to “release the demons.” 

Anderson was denied bail. He is facing three counts of murder in the first degree, plus charges of assault and battery with a deadly weapon and maiming. 

District Attorney Jason Hicks said the death penalty is on the table. Hicks said Anderson has a long record of criminal activity, including drug distribution and possession charges, feloniously pointing a firearm, robbery, domestic abuse and assault and battery. 

Hicks held a press conference following the hearing to discuss problems with criminal justice reform in Oklahoma. He confirmed that Anderson was serving a 20-year sentence, which had been reduced to nine years, but he ended up only serving three years. Anderson was also allowed to waive his parole.

“I really think an offenders such as this should not have been able to even apply for a commutation,” Hicks said. 

The district attorney said he has been in contact with Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt’s office to discuss problems with criminal justice reform. 

Anderson was released about three weeks before the recent allegations that he killed three people.

“There’s a 4-year-old now that’s no longer with us. There are members of a family who are never going to see their relative again,” Hicks said. 

On Feb. 9, Chickasha Police responded to the 200 Block of Minnesota Ave. after a 911 call was made from the Pye residence, but the caller hung up. When officers arrived, they could hear someone inside, calling for help. Once inside, officers discovered four injured people. Leon and Kaeos were pronounced dead at the scene and Delsie was severely injured. Police reported Anderson was vomiting in the living room onto some pillows. 

Delsie was taken to the hospital for treatment. The OSBI said she has since been treated and released.

Anderson was also taken to the hospital for injuries, then released and taken to the jail Feb. 15. 

Recommended for you